Environmental Management Policy – International Standard
The Company devised a clear policy and structure for safety management that complies with the law, by incorporating the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS18001) as a basic guideline to improve safety standards in work operations for employees.
1. The Company aims to execute the quality, environmental, occupational health and safety policy, with an emphasis of encouraging participation from staff members for continuous improvement as follows:
- Produce tap water with the level of quality that satisfies customers.
- Create maximum satisfaction for direct and indirect customers.
- Improve and develop knowledge, competency, skills and expertise for staff members on a continuous basis to foster an awareness on quality, environment, occupational health and safety.
- Comply with the law and regulations related to environmental problems and work safety.
- Prevent pollution caused by the Company’s or stakeholders’ activities that might impact the environment, as well as encourage effective use of energy and resources.
- Prevent and reduce accidents, danger and illnesses for staff members and stakeholders caused by performing the work for the Company.
- Be prepared for emergency incidents and ensure that those incidents will not impact the Company’s human resource and assets, both internally and externally.
2. Occupational Health and Safety Goal
- To become an injury and illness free organization.
3. Occupational Health and Safety Strategy
- Create standard on occupational health and safety for all levels of staff members, with the executives as the leaders of the initiative.
- Uplift potential and awareness of work safety.
- Engage participation of staff members and business partners to improve and solve issues related to safety.
Environment-Friendly Production and Service
The Company is aware of the values of natural resources and thus places emphasis on environmental impact caused by the Company’s business operations both directly and indirectly by incorporating the environmental management system ISO 14001 and environment-friendly production process ‘Zero Discharge’, using sludge derived from water production to extract water and remove the sludge residue. Water derived from sludge extraction will then be used in the production process once again, meaning that no water will be released back into the raw water source throughout the whole production process. Furthermore, the Company advocates the Kaizen activity in order to improve business processes that have impact on the environment, with clear identification of goals and KPIs, to minimize risks and impact on the environment and all groups of stakeholders.
Quantity of Water Utilized Categorized by Sources
The Company produces and distributes tap water for the Provincial Waterworks Authority in 3 provinces; Nakhonpathom , Samutsakorn and Pathumthani, with Banglen Water Plant, Nakhonpathom and Pathumthani Water Treatment Plant, Pathumthani as production plants that utilize nearby surface water sources as raw material for production, i.e. Tha Chin River and Chao Phraya River. The amount of water utilized from the aforementioned water sources is displayed in the table below.
|Tha Chin River||155.64||165.79||166.02||179.75||million m3|
|Chao Phraya River||147.96||159.77||161.48||161.00||million m3|
Quantity of Reused Water
The Company designs the water production system that enables effective reuse of water, under the principle ‘Water Discharge Minimization’, which does not release extra water to waste, either the water extracted from sedimentation process or the water derived from the wash water tank. The system has been designed to collect sludge from production process to separate water from sludge to reuse again in the production process, with the following steps:
1. Sludge Balancing Tank receives sludge derived from the clarifier. Sludge in this tank will then be pumped to the sludge thickener tank.
2. Wash Water Tank receives water and sludge derived from the back wash of the clarifying system. From this, clear water will be separated from sludge and will be pumped back into the water production system to use again for maximum utilization, known as the ‘Recovery Water’. The thicker sludge will be pumped into the sludge thickener tank.
3. Sludge Dewatering is the last process in extracting water from the sludge in order to make it as dry as possible. It is also the process where the recovery water will be reused in the production process.
The amount of water reused is shown in the table below.
|Bang Len and Krathum Baen Water Treatment Plant||2.32||1.82||1.78||3.68||million m3|
|Pathum Thani Water Treatment Plant||8.14||3.33||4.76||3.69||million m3|
Waste and Residue Disposal
The key water production process the Company comprises of pumping raw water, adding chemical, sedimentation, filtration, sterilization and discharge.
With this, it can be seen that the waste borne from production is the sludge derived from the sedimentation and passing through the wash water tank. The Company ensures that waste monitoring and disposal is being executed on a systematic manner, as shown in the diagram below.
Comparison of the amount of sludge
|Bang Len and Krathum Baen Water Treatment Plant||7,627||10,943||13,683||18,677||Tons|
|Pathum Thani Water Treatment Plant||22,552||21,360||11,838||9,909||Tons|
|The amount of sludge used in the research||0||0||10||10||Tons|
Energy and Carbon Footprint Management
Climate change issue caused by the GHG emissions affects the livelihood of creatures which is an interested issue of all over the world. Thailand has joined the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), COP 21 in collaboratio with other countries in various activities reducing the greenhouse gas concentration levels in the atmosphere to low emission as well as increasing potential for climate-resilient development that lead to low carbon economy, and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Company use environmentally friendly measures to conducts business by considering the operation that may affect the environment for example the amount of greenhouse gas generated from the outside electricity consumption (indirectly), only main energy using to produce tap water to the distribution process to the tap water users covering three Water Treatment Plant which are: Bang Len Water Treatment Plant; Nakhon Pathom Province, Krathum Baen Water Treatment Plant; Samut Sakhon Province, and Pathum Thani Water Treatment Plant; Pathum Thani Province. Energy and Carbon Footprint Management which shown the GHG emission are as follows:
|Bang Len and Krathum Baen Water Treatment Plant||61,837||63,795||63,260||67,887||tCO2e|
|Pathum Thani Water Treatment Plant||42,112||44,231||44,663||44,026||tCO2e|
Environmental Protection and Revival
The Company is unable to operate a sustainable business in the future without cooperation from the community and agencies in the past. The Company participates in the planning and preparation of the energy conservation, natural resources conservation, and environment stewardship with external agencies are as follows:
1. The Company joins the SET’s Care the Bare project with the objective to reduce the GHG emission, resource use, and event expenses of listed companies.
2. The Company collaborates with We Love Tha Chin River Club, Nakhon Pathom by attending a monthly meeting to acknowledge the problem and jointly solve the problem of the Tha Chin River, promote awareness of water saving and conservation of water resources in the community continuously for more than 10 years.
3. The Company collaborates with the Center of Excellence on Hazardous Substance Management (HSM), Chulalongkorn University used sludge research results, such as “clay tiles” decorate the school building for Wat Rat Thammaram School, Samut Sakhon Province and Wat Sukwattanaram School, Nakhon Pathom Province.
4. The Company collaborates with Faculty of Environment, Kasetsart University and Laem Phak Bia Environmental Research and Development Project, due to the Royal Decree used the results of sludge research such as “Compost” to produce compost from sludge mixed with food waste in Thairath Wittaya 4 School, Nakhon Pathom Province.
5. The Company coordinates with the Office of Conservation Area Administration 3, Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation to monitor the growth of trees planted under the 1 millionth seedlings project to create watershed forests.
6. The Company supports Samut Sakhon activities to collect marine debris at the Mangrove Forest Resources 2 (Samut Sakhon).
7. The Company supports sludge from Bang Len Water Treatment Plant to Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University and Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) for the benefit of experimental research.
8. The Company has financial support to the sludge research for undergraduate students at Mahidol University on the elimination of turbidity in water using moringa seed protein as coagulant.
9. The Company supports and promotes employees’ participation in environmental stewardship activities with the aim of raising employees to realize the importance of environmental management within the organization such as the big cleaning day activities, waste sorting, and composting from sludge mixed with food waste within the head office with cooperation from employees at all levels regularly participate in activities.
10. The Company realizes the importance of conducting business with environmentally friendly and adheres fully comply with the conditions and requirements set forth in the law.